You can now book a Flu Vaccination at The House of Wellbeing for only £20.
If you have questions about the vaccination or are wondering whether it is the right thing for you. Please read our FAQs below
Frequently asked questions
What is flu?
- Flu is a contagious upper and sometimes lower respiratory disease caused by the influenza viruses.
- These viruses can cause mild to severe illness and even death.
- Flu outbreak can happen every winter as the viruses that cause flu change year on year.
- By having a flu vaccine, flu and its symptoms can be prevented.
What are the symptoms of Flu?
- Muscle and joint pains
- Sore throat
- Loss of appetite
- Diarrhoea or stomachache
- Nausea and vomiting
How can you get the flu?
- From another infected person through coughing, sneezing or talking
- By touching objects with the flu virus on it and then touching your mouth, nose or sometimes, eyes.
How can I reduce risk of spreading?
- Cover the mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
- Bin the used tissue immediately after
- Washing your hands often
What is flu vaccination?
- It is a great way of avoiding catching and spreading the flu
- The vaccine helps your body to produce antibodies to fight the virus within 7 to 10 days from being vaccinated
- The vaccine is manufactured to work against the three viruses that are most likely to cause flu this year.
Who is at high risk from flu?
Anyone including healthy people
Serious problems and complications can also happen to any age but there are some risk groups being more vulnerable:
Chronic respiratory, heart, kidney and liver disease
Motor neurone disease
Asplenia or splenic dysfunction
A weakened immune system due to e.g. HIV/AIDS, cancer
Morbidly obese (BMI 40 and above)
Living in long-stay residential care homes/ facilities
Who can have the flu vaccine?
- As listed above
- The pharmacist will ask a few questions prior to the vaccination to ensure that it is safe to do so.
Are there any side effects?
The virus in the vaccine has been inactivated. Hence you cannot catch a flu from the vaccine.
Common side effects:
Aching muscles for a few days
What are the benefits of having flu vaccine?
- About 75% of people who have the vaccine will be prevented from flu this season
- About 25% of people will have reduced severity of flu symptoms
Who will be administering the flu vaccination?
- Our fully trained pharmacist in a private treatment room at a time to suit you.
- After the injection, you will be seated in the cosy waiting room for at least 10 minutes to ensure that you are feeling well before you leave.